Technology has over the years played a vital role in our society, because most of our daily activities involve technology such as Smartphones and other gadgets. In fact, it became our buddies or our life partner because it is our source of information. Technology has contributed a huge help to us because it made our tasks and other activities easier. Even in our communications, Smartphones are top of the list, because it helps us to connect with the people that we love who are far away from us. Choosing the best waterproof camera isn’t the most easiest of jobs because you have look for lot’s of features and how it’s performing under certain conditions like low light, underwater conditions , blurry , 4k and more.
Aside from communications, we can also take some pictures and videos using it. Just recently, technology has made it even better with water proof feature. Now, unlike before, certain cameras come with the ability to withstand moisture. With waterproof camera which is capable to take a picture even if you are underwater. These cameras are now all over the market and knowing which one will best suit your need can be a daunting experience, hence this review. Allow us to help you find the best waterproof camera to buy.
What makes the Waterproof Camera Unique?
- 1 What makes the Waterproof Camera Unique?
- 2 What to check before buying a waterproof camera
- 3 Top 11 Best Waterproof Cameras Reviewed By PCShouters:
- 3.1 #1 Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera
- 3.2 #2 Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Waterproof Digital Camera with built-in Wi-Fi
- 3.3 #3 Olympus TG-4 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD
- 3.4 #4 Canon PowerShot D20 12.1 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera
- 3.5 #5 Fujifilm FineFix XP80 Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD
- 3.6 #6 Nikon COOLPIX AW120 16 MP Wi-Fi Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and full HD 1080p Video
- 3.7 #7 FujuFilm FinePix XP70 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD
- 3.8 #8 APEMAN Sports Action Camera built-in Wi-Fi Waterproof Digital Camera
- 3.9 #9 Contour ROAM3 Waterproof Digital Camera HD video Camera
- 3.10 #10 SJCAM SJ5000 Wi-Fi Novarek 96655 14 MP 2.0″ LCD 1080p 170 Degree wide Angle Sports Action Camera
- 3.11 #11 GoPro HERO4 Silver
A waterproof camera can take pictures or videos underwater, without going through any damage. It is also designed to be resistant to the other element as well. This is to say it has various features that ordinary digital camera don’t have. It may also have sturdier bodies that are advertised as crushproof or shockproof, and it can be a good investment too. Now that you know the things that made it unique unlike the other digital cameras, here are some criteria that you should know when you are going to buy a waterproof camera.
- Image quality : Like any other digital cameras, you always want a camera that has image quality; it is a very important characteristic that a camera must have, because you always want a picture with a good quality. A picture that doesn’t have an image quality is not worth it.
- It must be rugged : When traveling, taking picture can be fun, and finding the right angle to get the perfect picture is kind of difficult to do. Especially when you are underwater, it will be more difficult to find the right angle, that’s why a waterproof camera must have a characteristic of ruggedness.
- It must be versatility : Choosing a waterproof camera that has different features is like having an ‘all-in-one’ camera. Since that it is waterproof, you can also look for the one that have different features such as freeze proof, and shockproof. It will be more convenient and worth it.
A Friendly reminder: When you are checking the waterproof camera that you are going to buy, make sure that you are testing it by asking the sales representative. There are several things that you are allowed to do with the device when testing it, as long as a sale representative is helping you.
What to check before buying a waterproof camera
When you are going to buy a waterproof camera, make sure that you will meet these following criteria:
- Image Quality (both video and pictures) : Your waterproof must have an image quality, because it will measure the quality of your camera too.
- Speed : One of the qualities that a rugged camera must have is speed. A rugged camera must be fast enough to capture the moving subjects, without making it blurred.
- Design/form factor and extra features : Having a camera that has a unique design and style is one of what you want, because it will also measure if your camera is well form.
- Extra features will also matter too, in measuring the uniqueness of your camera.
Now that you know what are the criteria that you need to check when buying the good waterproof camera, we will give some of the recommended waterproof cameras that might fit to your ideal one.
Top 11 Best Waterproof Cameras Reviewed By PCShouters:
#1 Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera
For those with a taste for adventure, there’s a camera as bold as the active life you lead. It’s the Canon PowerShot D10. Waterproof, freeze-proof and shockproof; it’s tough enough to take what you dish out. Plus it’s got all the high performance features you expect from a Canon digital camera. You’ve got 12.1 megapixels of resolution plus all of Canon’s powerful, state of the art imaging technologies so you can capture your epic experiences in breathtaking color and awesome detail. The highlights of this camera are waterproof, cold resistant and shockproof. This unique camera is waterproof down to 33 feet so you can take it scuba diving, snorkelling or surfing. Its freeze proof and can withstand extremes of temperature from 14-104 degrees (F) so it is also ideal for snowboarding, mountaineering and more. Plus, it’s shockproof to 4 feet, so when the going gets rough, the D10 will keep going strong.
- Excellent image quality
- Rugged build
- Short Battery life
- Images soft in corners
- Slightly awkward shape
#2 Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Waterproof Digital Camera with built-in Wi-Fi
Take your photos and videos to the extreme with the waterproof, freeze proof and shockproof COOLPIX AW130. A wide-angle (24mm equivalent) NIKKOR glass lens provides a wide field of view that’s great for action and underwater shooting; and Vibration Reduction (VR) keeps photos sharp and Full HD 1080p videos steady. Onboard GPS with Points of Interest tracks your shots and shows you where you’ve been. You don’t even have to wait to share your adventures with built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication technology (NFC; NFC feature for Android v 4.0 or later smart devices only) to send your photos right to a compatible smartphone, even in remote locations. Make the Nikon Coolpix AW130 Shock & Waterproof Wi-Fi GPS Digital Camera part of your go-to gear and start turning those radical moments into photos and Full HD 1080p videos that amaze. Waterproof, shockproof and freeze proof. With built-in Wi-Fi and NFC, you can transfer your photos right to a compatible smartphone; and built-in GPS records your coordinates and maps your shots. Additional features: wide-angle (24mm equivalent) NIKKOR glass lens, 5x Optical Zoom, Hybrid Vibration Reduction, 3.0″ OLED screen, and built-in flash.
- The Nikon COOLPIX AW130 is a friendly user, and it is easy to manipulate.
- The image is a little blurred
- Connectivity to the Android app is flacky and downright annoying
Olympus has designed TG-4 with an unmatched combination of features. For the first time in a rugged compact camera, you can shoot in RAW for the highest resolution capture and maximum creative control. With the sophisticated 16 Megapixel BSI CMOS Sensor and the TruePic VII Image Processor, you will shoot the smallest details and the brightest colours of every exciting moment.
- Wide aperture f/2 lens
- Waterproof to 50 Feet
- Protected against freezing, dust, drops, and crushing.
- JPG output could be better
- Short zoom range
- Didn’t add much Raw shooting support,
#4 Canon PowerShot D20 12.1 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera
The Canon 6145B100 PowerShot D20 12.1MP Outdoor Camera can handle it all. This camera is waterproof to 33 feet, temperature-resistant from 14°F to 104°F, shockproof up to 5.0 feet, and equipped with a GPS tracker. Slim and sturdy with a highly visible color layout, its buttons are operable even with gloved hands. Spectacular image quality is ensured with the 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor for excellent low-light performance, and a 5x Optical Zoom with 28mm Wide-Angle Lens that brings excitement to your imaging. A single touch and you will be shooting incredibly vivid 1080p Full HD Video with full zooming capability. Lots of optional accessories take you deeper underwater and more. What’s in the box: Canon PowerShot D20 Waterproof Digital Camera (Blue), NB-6L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (3.7v, 1000mAh), CB-2LY Battery Charger for Canon NB-6L Lithium-Ion Battery, IFC-400PCU USB Interface Cable, Wrist Strap WS-DC8, Strap Mount, Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM and Limited 1-Year Warranty? Obiously it’s one of the best waterproof digital camera available in the market though the price on the higher people tend to go for it because of the name Canon.
Also Checkout :
- The device can connect to Wi-Fi
- A faster maximum shutter speed allows taking pictures of fast moving subjects without blur.
- It has AF tracking, once you choose the subject and press the shutter release part way down, as the subject moves, the autofocus will follow it.
- It can’t create panoramas in camera
- Doesn’t have Manual shutter
- Doesn’t have manual exposure
#5 Fujifilm FineFix XP80 Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD
The perfect camera, indoors and out! XP80 is an all-purpose camera for every day needs. 4 Way Proof – Integrates four rugged protection features: Waterproof 50 ft / 15m, Freeze proof to temperatures as low as 14 Degree F / -10 Degree, Shockproof to withstand drops from 5.8 Ft. / 1.75m and Dustproof to protect the body from sand and dust. The FinePix XP80 is waterproof to a depth of 15m (50ft), shockproof to a height of 1.75m (5.8ft), freeze proof to -10°C (14°F) and dust / sand proof.
- Fast continuous shooting
- Light body
- Environmental sealing
- Face detection focusing
- Doesn’t have articulating screen
- doesn’t have external flash shoe
- doesn’t have AE bracketing
#6 Nikon COOLPIX AW120 16 MP Wi-Fi Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and full HD 1080p Video
To capture thrilling first-person views of your epic moments, to really share the rush with your friends and family, you need a camera that’s rugged, sure—but you also need a camera that takes outstanding photos and videos. The waterproof, freeze proof and shockproof COOLPIX AW120 delivers the image quality your big moments deserve. Strap it to your chest with the optional Chest Harness and record mind-blowing Full HD 1080p videos with stereo sound, smooth slow motion sequences and high-res photos, even in challenging conditions. When things get bumpy, Nikon’s new Hybrid VR system helps keep your shots sharp and steady. The camera’s superb wide-angle (24mm equivalent) f/2.8 NIKKOR glass lens gets more in the frame and captures bright, sharp images that will have you reliving the action on your “off” days. You don’t even have to wait to share the rush—with built-in Wi-Fi, your COOLPIX AW120 shots can instantly appear on a compatible smartphone or tablet for easy sharing.
- Sharp 5x zoom lens
- 24mm wide angle
- Images are on the noisy side
- No external charger included
#7 FujuFilm FinePix XP70 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD
You can easily transfer images wirelessly from the FinePix XP70 to your smartphone or tablet after installing the free FUJIFILM Camera Application app. There are no troublesome ID and password settings; just press the Wi-Fi button of the back of the camera and then add the images instantly to your blog or share them with friends on your social networking site. You can also use the FinePix XP70’s built-in Wi-Fi to save your photos to your PC. Because of the CMOS sensor, the FinePix XP70 can shoot 1920 x 1080-pixel full HD video. A dedicated movie recording button makes it easy to switch to movie recording mode with a single touch.
- Quite small
- Canera combines exposures
- Stitches together multi photos into a panorama
- Small screen
- Shorter battery life
- Missing geo-tagging
- poor maximum light sensitivity
#8 APEMAN Sports Action Camera built-in Wi-Fi Waterproof Digital Camera
The APEMAN Sport Action Camera is a high performance, pocket-sized dynamo that helps you be ready for anything. Be your own director, photographer, and editor on the run and capture life’s moments in HD. As you can see the big difference in the price tag of this camera this is the budget waterproof camera you can go for. Specially for those who can’t afford those high end go pro or canon camera but it’s still a winner for the price and you can do the job you want to with this one. So it not the best action camera available but the budget action camera you need. With the price you shouldn’t want a lot of features so if you are looking for best cheap action camera this is the one for you.
- can be purchase with its accessories
- Battery door is not attached, can be detached from the camera
#9 Contour ROAM3 Waterproof Digital Camera HD video Camera
Contour’s Contour ROAM3 Wearable Action Camera offers high-definition video and photo capture in a ruggedized, mount-anywhere design that is waterproof to 30′. A slider switch on top functions both to turn the camera on as well as start recording. The Contour Roam 3 is lockable to prevent accidental starting or stopping recording. The integrated lens can be rotated 270° so that you can mount the camera at horizontally tilted angles and still get level shots. Moreover, a laser is built-in right above the lens to help you pin-point the correct shooting angle. The camera also captures audio via an internal mic. One of the best budget waterproof camera available with HD features.
- Interactive software is simple and easy to use
- Internal battery cannot be replaced.
- Carrying pouch offers a little protection
#10 SJCAM SJ5000 Wi-Fi Novarek 96655 14 MP 2.0″ LCD 1080p 170 Degree wide Angle Sports Action Camera
Make you easier to adjust the set screw. The languages can be English / German / French / Spanish / Italian / Portuguese / Chinese Traditional / Chinese Simplified / Japanese / Russian. A Full HD which is 1920*1080P 30 fps, 720P: 1280*720P 60/30 fps and 480P: 640*480P 60/fps. The storage is Micro SD (Not Included) and the Shooting Mode is Single Shot Self-timer (3s / 5s / 10s / Continuous Shooting). When you will buy this camera, you can get 1 x SmartTmall mini Wrench, 1 x Waterproof case, 1 x Bicycle stand, 1 x Clip, 2 x Base, 1 x Fixed base,3 x Switch support, 1 x Tripod adapter, 1 x helmet base bandage, 1 x Data wire, 1 x 3M adhesive, 1 x Manual, and 1 x Wiper.
- High quality gyro stabilization
- No automatic picture rotation
#11 GoPro HERO4 Silver
Capture your world with HERO4 Silver, the high-performance GoPro with a built-in touch display. Controlling the camera, framing shots and playing back content is ultra-convenient—just view, tap and swipe the screen. HERO4 Silver captures 1080p60 and 720p120 video with lifelike clarity, plus 12MP photos at a staggering 30 frames per second. Built-in video trimming lets you create and save short highlight clips for easy sharing. Highlight Tag enables you to mark key moments to make them easier to find later. Waterproof to 131(40m), HERO4 Silver combines versatility and high-performance capture with the convenience of a touch display.
- Excellent video quality
- Simple yet sophisticated
- Mediocre battery life
These are all the best waterproof cameras that are listed at the top of the list. But if you are looking for something unique, has the maximum aperture that allows you to keep the ISO sensitivity down, which in turn keeps noise levels low, and affordable, then I highly recommended Olympus TG-2 iHS.
Olympus is one of the pioneers of the underwater/rugged camera, and it has two notable features that can support for conversion lenses and limited manual exposure control. But aside from these features, the highlight of the TG-2’s specification is undoubtedly its relatively fast 25-100mm lens. At wide angle, the maximum aperture is F2.0, which is at least a full stop faster than you’ll find on most other rugged cameras. TG-2 only cost $326.00, and it can be a perfect fit in what you are looking for.