It was not long ago when speakers were limited to just being found in the movie house, or simply in your car or the ones on your radio. Choosing the best portable Bluetooth speakers out there can be tricky if you don’t know what you are looking for exactly and the features you need in your portable speakers. As the technology evolved, speakers have been set up in bedroom walls, common or entertainment area where people can have a feel of a home theater when watching a movie, or listening to a concert recording, etc.
Now, as technology continues to innovate, speakers had become more accessible and apparently, somehow a need. It had become the perfect pair for mobile phones, tablets, and even laptops; the perfect equipment for one’s music leisure.
What makes a good portable speaker?
Bluetooth speakers are the most ideal type of a wireless speaker, as it had grown to work without needing a network to connect – meaning it will simply work anywhere! Plus, using it is very much convenient and hassle-free, as it takes literally just seconds to connect.
As Bluetooth chips offer a high- functionality, even with a 30 to 50 feet transmission distance, its quality is still efficient and does not affect the battery life of your gadget. It now offers a high- quality connection, far from its once poor audio resolution reputation, with an improvement offered by brands for every model they do a release.
Things to look for when buying a portable speaker
Portable speakers are used everywhere – literally. Before purchasing one for your next road trip, or hang out with friends, aside from the wireless connection, here are a number of things to know before you consider which speaker to buy from the wide range of best Bluetooth portable speakers out there:
- Portability: Okay, so portability may be subjective depending on what you are looking for and how you are planning to use it. You would want a portable Bluetooth speaker which is just the right size and allows you to move around without the sound suffering. Remember, the smaller the speaker the more possibility of compromising the quality of the sound.
- Durability: It is a given that you do want a speaker you can carry around, hassle-free, but sometimes without proper care, the speaker may not last long. Some speakers are of quality covering, which makes it ideal to bring on your next beach day.
- Multi-room: Speaker’s main job is to cover quite the space with enough sounds, right? A quality speaker has a loud but clear sound that can cover almost the whole house if you want to without compromising the sound’s quality.
- Battery Life: Of course, you would want to get a speaker which you can use for a whole day or more; and to save money, you want it to be rechargeable.
- NFC and apt- X: NFC is what allows your mobile phone to connect more easily to the speaker through Bluetooth. Apt- X is what allows your Bluetooth connection produces a good and quality sound.
Repeatedly here, it was mentioned that sound quality or solution should not be compromised. Because it is your number one concern when buying a speaker – particularly a wireless one since you are depending on its connections.
We know how much you love music and as a music lover, I know the value of free music in our life. Yeah, the artist deserves more than money and in this world they need money. Still, sometimes we can’t actually afford the premium music downloads so we also prepared a list of free music app and free music downloading options for you so after buying those portable speakers you can listen to all your favorite songs streaming or directly downloading to your storage.
Best Portable Speakers Review
1. XBOOM Mini Portable Capsule Speaker
This is a compact pocket- size, capsule speaker and best portable Bluetooth speakers under $50. It comes with a bass expansion system (BES); a sound resonator which enhances the sound and bass quality, it produces a massive sound. The XBOOM Mini Portable Capsule Speaker has a built-in rechargeable battery to last for about 12 hours and is universally compatible with any gadget, be it run by an iOS, Blackberry smartphones, Android smartphones, laptops, CD players, and many more. It is manufactured by E Depot Express, with a portable size of 2.4 x 2.4 x 1.8 inches, and weighs just 4.8 ounces.
- A speaker compatible with your PC, Laptops, Gaming systems, tablets, and mobile phones
- Inexpensive with great quality particularly for bass sounds
- Provides a short cord for charging
- Charging can get compromised easily, making the battery life span shorter than expected
- The sound may not cover a wide space
2. Bose Sound Link Colour Best Portable Bluetooth Speakers
The Bose Sound Link Colour Bluetooth speaker will give clear and full audio. It is made from durable materials which can easily fit inside your bag, with its 2.1 x 5 x 5.3 inches for size. The maximum range for connection is about 30 feet, for a quality sound; and it will allow you to connect two Bluetooth devices at a time.
It is compatible to pair with best portable Bluetooth speakers for smartphones, tablet, and other Bluetooth devices; plus a voice prompt will guide you through the Bluetooth pairing process. Since it is designed for easy use, with 1.2 ounces, it is light enough for you to carry during light travel. It has an auxiliary provided to connect to other devices without Bluetooth.
- The voice guide on how to go about Bluetooth connectivity
- Good for use with smartphones, tablets, and other gadgets
- The size of this speaker is very much portable
- The battery may last up to only 300 charges, and then it diminishes. The battery of Bose might be irreplaceable
- Bass response for quality may be weak, especially when taken on a wide space
- Bluetooth pairing can be hard
3. Volume and Bass Hi- Fi Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
This wireless Bluetooth speaker has a superior 360 sound and playtime and is considered an anywhere speaker. It gives out a full-bodied sound for a boom box quality experience.
However, Volume and Bass’ wireless Bluetooth speaker is made for simple use, like a push button for on/off switch which will be confirmed by a voice prompt; has a built-in rechargeable battery that will make a 12 to 15-hour use — definitely good for a whole day celebration. This is one of the best portable Bluetooth speakers under $100.
The product does not stop with Bluetooth connection for you to enjoy your music, as it also read micro SD/ TF card in MP3 format. It also has an auxiliary function and will allow you to even charge your phone through its USB input. Volume and Bass definitely designed this portable Bluetooth speaker for you to carry around with a 2.9 x 6.5 x 2.6 inches size and 1.2 pounds weight.
- The Hi-Fi speaker has a longer battery life of a 15- hour maximum, the battery life will not leave you hanging on an advertisement
- Durability and sturdiness are great! Dropped it quite a few times, and yet the quality remains intact
- May not cover a large range of space for speaker capacity
- With the quality of the sounds it produces, it is a bit pricey
4. Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2
Aside from its capability to deliver excellent sound quality, through five audio drivers, the Roar 2 speaker is feature-rich, as it can serve as an external sound card or a standalone music player with its microSD card slot. It boosts the overall loudness while utilizing the built-in Digital Signal Processor of the speaker for wider audio output.
The Blaster Roar 2 is now in a lighter, 2.2 pounds, and more compact size, 4.3 x 7.4 x 2 inches, and still retains its audio signature quality. It has a machine- finished passive radiators, which will go far from just hearing the bass, but even actually seeing it in action.
- Connects easily with devices, including televisions
- Sounds produced are well- balanced. Although the loudness and other stuff is not accurate and depends on other factors like environment
- Pairs well with both USB and Bluetooth
- The audio quality is not that great, bass sound can be missing. Quality gets compromised on the user’s location
- Not loud enough for outdoor use
- Can be a bit heavier compared to another princess.
5. UE BOOM 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
Like other wireless portable Bluetooth speakers, the UE Boom 2 delivers a 360- degree sound, but the difference is that it has an IPX- 7 rating for water resistance, shockproof and gesture control.
Firstly, it connects well with smartphones, tablets, and other Bluetooth devices for a good range of about 100 feet. With its grab- and- go water bottle shape, it is easy to bring and easy to use through a tap action for controls. Secondly, it is powered by a rechargeable battery for a good 15-hour run. This speaker has different editions which you can choose from. This image is the Phantom Edition the other ones are BrainFreeze Edition, Cherrybomb Edition, Green Machine Edition, Tropical Edition & Yeti Edition. Choose the one you like as the editions change their colors change too. In addition, Logitech designed UE Boom 2’s portability with a 2.7 x2.7 x 7.1 inches size and 1.2 pounds, to bring the fun anytime, anywhere.
- Produces great sound quality compared to its small size
- Its features are great: from the water resistant to the shockproof portable speaker.
- Produced by a company known for its quality computer accessory
- Volume must be watched, sometimes the speaker could not take the amplifier’s sound output
- Bluetooth connection can be hard to pair
- Battery life can reduce depending on maintenance or charging habit.
6. Harman Infinity One Portable Wireless Speaker
The Infinity One’s speaker offers a high- quality driver for a clear and breathtaking sound whenever you play music. It also comes with about 10 hours of life span, plus you can even charge an external device through its USB port.
Although there is no significant breakthrough, the One has a cutting- edge design, which allows simple, intuitive operation of all controls. It is made of ceramic- coated aluminum to deliver durability. Aside from a reliable life span, and sound quality, Infinity made sure to have the speakers easy to bring anywhere with a 5.3 x 10.8 x 6.7 inches size and 5 pounds weight.
- The sound quality it produces is room- fulfilling with deep bass, making it a full-on sound system experience
- Great for both indoor and outdoor use
- Pairs well and easily with your gadget, even with two devices at the same time
- Although it is great for outdoor use, there is no case provided
- Bluetooth connection may get unstable, but maybe that just depends on the location
7. Libratone ZIPP Bluetooth Portable Wireless Speaker
Not only will this allow you to play via Bluetooth, but it will also allow you to stream online via Wi-Fi and even pair up with sx ZIPP speaker all- together. The quality that it produces is excellent and bigger than its size. Enjoy using for about 10 hours through its rechargeable battery.
Its innovation includes Spotify integration and allows you to stream everything from your online sources. It has an intuitive touch control; with a 4.8 x 4 x 10.3 inches and 3.3 pounds weight, Libratone portable Bluetooth speaker is definitely a good contender out in the market.
- Produces a clear, full and natural sound – even on low volume
- Easy to pair and comfortable to use because of its portability
- It has a great sound quality at any volume
- The Bluetooth connection may be unstable and suddenly unlinks
8. JBL Charge 2 Plus Portable Bluetooth Speaker
The JBL Charge 2+ breaks away from the stigma that had followed portable speakers for years, with its smaller size; no one can fully take it seriously and trust its booming sound quality and durability.
From the original design of a slick, metal grille with rubber and plastic touches, nothing had really changed but the addition of the JBL logo. The speaker can stand either vertically or horizontally, has a LED- illuminated volume control.
Aside from Bluetooth connectivity, it also allows a USB and wired listening to enjoy the system. It will also enable you to charge your phone anywhere you are.
- Releases quality booming sound even with its tiny size
- Allows multiple connectivity, not limiting to Bluetooth — plus it’s easier to connect
- Splash- resistant, not necessarily put it on water but getting a little sprinkle would not hurt
- No major changes or difference compared from the JBL Charge 2
- For a starter speaker, the price is a bit expensive – if you are one on a budget, there are others out in the market that offers a water-resistant feature on a cheaper price
9. B & O Play Beoplay A1 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
The Beoplay A1 is designed by the award-winning Cecilie Manz, with the brand’s concept of ‘sound technology and experience at the palm of your hands’ – the speaker came to life. Durability combines the soft and hard, cold and warm making things well-balanced.
Most importantly, it has a compact sized Bluetooth speaker, with a 1.3 pounds weight, which makes it very portable. Dust and splash resistant are two of its best features, alongside the more sound and bass it can produce. It also has about 24 hour’s battery life span per use.
- Unlike other speakers, with harsh bass sounds, the Beoplay has a better-rounded and whole sound quality, clear and crisp!
- Very much portable, and quite a design to show off
- Although it is easy to pair it with a Bluetooth device in the start, the problem is that it is hard to make it stay paired – losing connection easily.
- Price can be a bit high
- Without proper care, charging may get easily compromised and become a problem.
Overall, go for a portable Bluetooth speaker that is worth your money. From the reviews above, I would suggest that Logitech’s UE Boom 2 is worth the investment for a portable sound system.
It assures you of a long battery life span, and durability wise, it will give you what your money is worth. You do not have to worry about it getting wet, and you getting shocked when it does. It is safe and easy to use. Plus, the sound it produces can cover the whole space with its wide range for connectivity. In conclusion, hope you know how to choose the best portable Bluetooth speakers.